Skip to main content

Yarn Over, Purpose Under: Crafting My Creative Journey!

This year, I took a leap into the world of crocheting, and it has been nothing short of transformative. As I've learned to create beautiful patterns and intricate stitches, I've also uncovered a deeper sense of creativity within myself. Each loop and knot serves as a reminder of the beauty of expression and the power of art in my life.

As I mentioned in my previous blog, the journey toward discovering purpose requires a lot of introspection and self-exploration. During my usual moments of reflection, I found myself revisiting the times when I felt most creative. I spent a significant part of my childhood in boarding school, where I discovered my talents and love for the creative arts. I excelled in music, drama, storytelling—basically, anything that encouraged me to step outside of myself and become something new. I’m grateful that my teachers quickly identified, nurtured, and encouraged my gifts. In fact, I remember a primary school teacher who often said, “Zinma, make sure you come up with a funny skit for the upcoming Parents' Day, or I’ll make your life difficult here.” Looking back, that definitely sounded like a threat, but it never felt like one; like clockwork, I always wrote and directed the funniest skits and plays. Those “threats” really motivated me and, in a way, validated my art!

Fast forward to high school: I was rarely in class because I was always out and about participating in various events. I was so active in extracurricular activities that I even attempted sports. Let’s just say I wasn’t exactly the next sports star in hockey, badminton, or table tennis, but I truly excelled in drama, choir, and Scouts activities. On top of that, I was a school captain!

Every so often, I look back on those moments, and my only regret is not pursuing my love and passion for art more seriously. That said, I consume art in its various forms to “dangerous” levels while continuously battling the fact that I hadn’t created it myself.

Psychologists and life coaches recommend a plethora of questions to help people discover their purpose. Here are five that stood out to me and helped reignite my passion for art as a key component of my purpose:

  • What gets you excited and fired up? (Your passions)
  • What are your top five values? (Stay tuned for the next episode on how to do a Values Test!)
  • What activities do you excel at effortlessly? (Your strengths)
  • What issues sadden, frustrate, and anger you, keeping you awake at night?
  • What do you want to be remembered for? (Your legacy)

A few months ago, I accidentally stumbled upon crocheting. It was an accident because I had never tried it before; my curiosity was piqued after seeing countless Gen-Zers on TikTok doing it. So, I bought my first hook and yarn, watched one video on YouTube, and voila! I was already great at it! It dawned on me how easy this was for me and how proud I felt after completing various projects. I was creating again!!!

Crocheting has become more than just a hobby for me; it’s a practice that sparks joy and ignites my ability to create art. It has allowed me to experiment and explore various possibilities without fear of perfection. Most importantly, it has reminded me that my creativity thrives when I give myself permission to create.

Just like a crochet pattern, our journeys are unique. As you embrace your own journey, I invite you to explore your creative outlets and passions to see where they lead you. Your homework this week is to discover what sparks joy or excitement for you, and then lean into it.

Oh! And I’d love to hear all about it at seekandspark@gmail.com.

With love and yarn,
Zin.

Comments

  1. So you mean you are this creative? Drama? Great piece, definitely taking on the components of purpose questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm yarning for that value test hehe. The thing that sparks my joy, travelling for leisure, does that count?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ARE WE OKAY?

I have just finished reading an op-ed in the New York Times by Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex where she recounts ever-so-powerfully and painfully, her experience with grief after her miscarriage earlier in the year. In the article, she opines that these challenging times call for us to be more sensitive and empathetic to one another because everyone has gone through or is currently going through some sort of pain. Needless to say, her article has sparked a lot of conversation around the subject of miscarriage which is unfortunately often considered taboo. Granted, there are no words in the dictionary that can sufficiently describe the kind of year that 2020 has been. Life is sometimes hard but the Pandemic has compounded the pain and difficulty in navigating its challenges. Many will agree that it takes a lot of effort these days to muster even the lowest level of optimism and positivity and even then, one does so cautiously. Personally, I have gone through my fair share of challenge...

THE CRISIS OF SELF- EVOLUTION

  Like most people, I always look forward to the new year for two reasons: one, I get to set new goals for the year, and second, I get to celebrate my birthday again. So a new year for me is a two-fold celebration of new prospects, second chances, and renewed hope of life.   I am not one to “go big” during birthdays and more often than not I don’t usually make a fuss so pandemic or not, there was no solid plan for a celebration this year. However, I am surrounded by amazing friends and family who always challenge this “boring” habit. Make no mistake, I do engage in certain rituals to honor the day. At the stroke of midnight on January 1 st , 2021, while the world was ushering in the new year with singing, fireworks, and champagne, I was fast asleep! At the stroke of midnight on January 2 nd , 2021, on my birthday, I was wide awake! And the realization that this year was going to be more significant than any other hit me like a ton of bricks! As if by sheer coincidence...

DIGITAL MINIMALISM

  So I recently attempted an experiment called “Digital Minimalism” which is a concept that was curated by Prof. Cal Newport who advocates that we should all start questioning and choosing which digital communication tools are necessary for our happiness. So I took his advice and decided to delete all my social media apps from my phone. Never mind that my job requires that I keep tabs with emerging trends so not only was this experiment difficult to follow through but it felt like I was committing career-suicide and obviously missing out on a lot. Also, for those that know me well, they understand that I am a “news junkie”. I like to be in the know in the fastest way possible. Traditional media offers me the news but not in the fastest way possible. For avoidance of doubt, I failed spectacularly!   Two days into the experiment, I was slowly re-installing some apps back on my phone but I tried my best to keep my interactions with them to a minimum 😊 . I used the extra time...